I suggest you...

Make CH's specify explicitly if they want coding

I know that "There are officially no coded contests on 99designs" – but who cares about official, if there are still plenty of CH's who speak like: "We want a website that..."
Every time I read something like this, I can't figure out whether they want just a PSD or they want a website, coded and ready to go - and many people still want coding, despite the "no coded contests" rule...
Come on, many CH's do not even know that design has to be coded, or how much work is involved in coding. How am I supposed to manage client's expectations? Ask them? In like 80% of web design contests there's first comment that says: "Do you want coding?"

278 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    rob0205rob0205 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • RosieeRosiee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that if the CH wants HTML files they should have a separate prize money for that. I'm no coder and would like the CH to know that in advance so that if they prefer my designs without coding it's up to them and if they select a designer + coder that is also their choice. I would however not like being requested to make designs for 4-5 pages as per brief eventually knowing that they don't need PSD files.

• VoyaVoya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, add that please.
        A checkbox for contest holders, and a notification for us designers.
        Before submitting a design, warn us that the CH would like to have the design coded. We can easily arrange the price with them after.

• LucasLucas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree, was looking for a design contest and couldn't understand if they were expecting me to be able to code it for them or not.

• JanuJanu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whatever way it's done the coding should not be included as a part of the design price. I see some designers offer coding which can appear to be a bit underhanded to the rest of the designers who don't code...they may feel left at a disadvantage if the CH suddenly realizes there's a designer who'll code - sometimes for free. Coding should be entirely separate from the design work. Period.

• andrewandrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree. You should make CHs to check checkboxes or make them understand in any other way that they CAN'T require coding. I see CHs who don't understand this very, very often still and I don't want to educate them, I believe it's waste of time.

• djrdjr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this. I'm comfortable to code a design, it's part of my day-job, however, as Lizart said, for a prize of $300 I'm not willing to design and code it, and, unfortunately, I came across a contest that my design had more rate but, besides wasn't a requirement, someone that was willing to code it won it.

I vote yes

• Scott D OffordScott D Offord commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a CH, I received PMs from contestants saying, "if your prize is over $400, and you choose my design, we'll code it for free". It was tempting to take that offer, but in the end, I chose the design that was the best, not the designer who tried to make it the most convenient. I like mantrasia's idea. The contest holder should have a series of check boxes to check for items that are commonly needed or that would help the designers understand the intent of the contest holder.

• Jason AikenAdminJason Aiken (Community Director, 99designs) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi...
        Correct...officially there are no coded contests on 99designs at this time. Coding is a separate matter that is not included in the prize amount.

If a contest holder runs a contest for a web page or some element that they would like coded and the winning designer is capable of providing that service....great...they can negotiate a fair deal to do so. Here is just such an example http://bit.ly/UdwJy.

Additionally, we are making improvements to help clarify expectations for both contest holders and designers so that the deliverables are clear for both parties...stay tuned.

Cheers,
        Jason

• LizartLizart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think if the contest holder wants coding, that should be outside the prize money. I mean, come on, design AND code an entire website for $300?? I have no problem coding, but since the rules are no "no coding" I would think that should be an afterthought, additional opportunity to earn more.

• mantrasiamantrasia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes, the coding needs to be a "click box" option to those type of "coded" contests can be easily sorted out

Feedback and Knowledge Base