I suggest you...

Add more requirements to Verify the Identity of participants

I am sick and tired of all of these fake profiles! You will be winning at one point and "someone" who just got a profile will win on their FIRST try! This has happened a lot on this site. Someone (I Think) from the company or a friend will see everybody's logo and make something, if not exactly like it, then extremely close to yours! Also after that contest, they never even log back on. I think this needs to be stopped and fast! I hate losing to fake profiles don't you?

491 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    LogoRushLogoRush shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

36 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • RayRay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Recently a bunch of people posted ideas for a contest and the CH only picked 2 for final round and one was bad. It's just getting harder to spot these scam contests.

Also please remember that the contest holders aren't artists usually. They don't always pick the best designs (even in advertising this happens all of the time, I know pros there). If you want a critique by an artist you need to go to Parsons, School of Visual Arts, Pratt, etc or go to an art forum (critques aren't usually as good there though). 99Designs is great for building a portfolio though, but don't put all your winning entries there, just your best work.

Blind contests don't fix the problem, especially if it's a scam contest (where the designer knows the contest holder). People admitted publicly to doing this, and more and more contest holders are selecting winners who post their email on their profile. My experience with forums is they may be asking them to do a similar design for cheaper, then get money back from 99designs. I stopped checking many messages on forums due to this, was hoping it wouldn't happen here. But it does seem to be better then other contests I've tried.

Regarding Facebook, get Snich or Intego (if you have a mac), then you can find out how much Facebook is tracking you! I block them, it's on most sites. It's linked through their logo, the small icon with the F (designers aren't supposed to change the design but they always do, check Facebook's terms for their logo).

Not just that, I'm seeing more people with only one entry winning and the contest holder only has one entry! Reporting it does nothing it seems, they can come back as somebody else. You need to have something that makes sure offenders are not creating multiple accounts if they get banned.

• NazimNazim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with you Yodakka. I am also having problem logging in. I tried to connect my facebook account but it says the account is too new. I don't know what to do because I have to request a payout and I really need it.

• YodakkaYodakka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I talked with 99designs support by phone. It was a joke. After 3 years of using 99designs and several contest won....and more refunded.... they just want me to give access to my FB, twitter or LinkedIN account. I tried but it was not enough, the system said to my 3-4 years old twitter account that its to new....

The operator just dont want to understand that I dont use this platforms often, I use my local country social network if I need..... So I can go to HELL. I cant login any more.

I was on a contest Final Round.... thank you very much.. This is a 99 point from 100 for customer care.

Without enough social media activity you're not a HUMAN any more.....hahaha

• YodakkaYodakka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After 3 years, several won contest I got this:

..."After review, there does not appear to be enough activity on your social networking accounts.

As a result, your 99designs account will remain on hold until you are able to provide a legitimate, verifiable account from either Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn."...

I havent use these platforms too often before - so I cant use the system any more?!? What the hell is going out there?!

• galinkagalinka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I won the first webdesign contest i entered. Without any experience, without even knowing elementary design things (hard to believe, but it's true). Now after a few years i was promoted to gold.

It's normal that designers win from the first try, though only 1 entry and 1 win could be could be some cheat.

• Grafix 8Grafix 8 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"A good solution for this would be to only allow designers to request payouts when they have 2 contests won"

I Agree Boss.

• it's just meit's just me commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd agree with jixxer. Stealing idea is hard to anticipate. This approach is useless, sorry...
        There are lots of 'Designs Pimps' (clients) who open contests just to extract numerous ideas from designers on crowdsourcing sites.
        Making fake profiles (as designers) are their ways to minimize their money expenditure, but many don't have to.
        All they have to do is open CHEAP prized contests, hundreds designs will flood, capture/steal the ideas, then they can abandon these contests or ask for refunds... smart hah!
        ----
        Thereby I would ask designers for commitment NOT to submit Clean, Large dimension and Unmarked proposals during active contests (to render just use Save for Web 80% jpeg may be)... don't let those 'Pimps' get away with your designs easily.

• jixxerjixxer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it's no use. even if you implement all your ideas in order to prevent this its useless.. if i really want to steal a idea/design and im from a company or a friend of the CH i wont even need to register a fake account. i would just look through all of your designs via CH account. and make something out of it. what we need as a designer are reliable , honest CHs. add more requirements to verify the identiy of participants and CHs. then track there business processes. and see if they use/remake a design which they just copied from the contest they held

• AS8AS8 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That happens to me maybe five times so far. But, I think the solution for this is that in the last 24h to the end of any contest nobody with less than 15 participated contest can NOT enter their designs. In that way all those fake profiles are obligate to enter in the contest earlier, so you can see if they are copy cats or not. Plus if they try to enter something in the last minute, they need to have some history (15 at least entries) in their profiles.

• claymannclaymann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with +four, no payout unless you've won twice, that would seem to solve the problem in one sweep and take a lot more effort to work around.

• marcuseneemarcusenee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it happened to me a lot of times but this will be a little hard for the fair designers who have more ideas and will have to write a lot of things about their designs. If it happens to you just talk to the contest holder and tell him all you think about someone stealling your ideas. I did this because in the last 5 min remaining of the project someone copied my idea and almost won. I talked to the CH and he understood the situation because I said all I thought about the other "designer" that stole my idea and almost won instead of me. I think that this is what you should do if someone does that.

• iGentryiGentry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There would be no problem if all contests are blind. It's that way in the brick and mortar world. Requirements and/or qualifications are not needed for good design. Those with a problem are insecure about their own ability.

• DBCDDDBCDD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not a designer, I have only been a contest holder and I have to say that I would like to see this feature too.

When creating a design contest and searching for designers to invite it is pretty annoying when you see a designer profile that pretty much has nothing but 1 design and 1 win. These "fake" profiles as you call them make it harder to find the real designers who will actually be willing to participate in the contest.

• thehoundofulsterthehoundofulster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

maybe they should hide the entries until the contest is over, just like they do in designcrowd... so no one can copy any idea to win

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base