I suggest you...

Refunds Not Allowed When CH Abandons Contest

I think that contest holders who abandon their contests should not be able to request refunds. It's one thing if they are actively participating, giving feedback and star ratings. But if they just abandon the contest, I don't think they should have the right to ask for their money back. The contest, in such an instance, failed largely at their own hand.

384 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    KatherineKatherine shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

a set rule like this may be can solve this problem:
        a. at qualification period, CH can refund 100%
        b. after contest in final phase, CH can only refund 50% of their money, 45% divided between finalis
        c. 5% from all contest, divided in a monthly tournament of best design of each category and each industry. juried by 99design team

i think that as a win-win solution..

• gendutkribogendutkribo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think is not fair when contest was guarantee and increase the prize CH has distributed the contest, for example like this : https://99designs.com/logo-design/contests/logo-marine-sentinel-174535
        CH given rating and feedback.
        when i read this https://99designs.com/help/how-do-i-guarantee-a-design-contest wor the bottom said "By guaranteeing a contest, you promise to choose and pay a winner, so you can’t claim a refund on a guaranteed contest."
        So what difference is refunded and Distributed?

• ArtaboveArtabove commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think Janu's suggestions on August 8, 2009 are fabulous. What ever happened about rectifying this problem?

• BJ Gardner CrankBJ Gardner Crank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Refunds are a big problem and the policy definitely needs to be revised. There are some very good suggestions here, like the 50% refund and the balance remaining should be divided among the top 5 (?) designers, guarantee final round, etc. It's one thing to work realizing it is a contest and there will be a winner; but it another to work hours and hours and then the CH gets a refund. For example: https://99designs.com/product-label-design/contests/palmia-light-beer-contest-reopened-144663 .

• JennyJenny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Gandecruz if the CH participates in the contest, and is still not satisfied with the designs, then refunds are possible

• gandecruzgandecruz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about a good active CH, tons of feedback, give regularly rating, and lot of fullfiled designs which requested from designers... and finally...... refund? It's a joke right.??
        So, i mean please as a designer i want to know why CH asking for a refund, if designs submitted have fullfil the conditions as the brief and the CH like them , as they were given a good stars rating.

• JanuJanu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Designers deserve more protection from the "fishing" CHs. Implement a "No Refund" policy for contests under $250 and divide the monies up between designers entered. Implement a 50% refund on all other contests. NO contest goes ignored by designers when the prize is equitable and the CH behaves responsibly. CH's offered no deterrent to change their unfair practices will not change...but the attitudes of designers may and 99D will start losing talent.

• Stephen SerrianniStephen Serrianni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WOW Buyers remorse? If a service has been rendered payment should be due if they do not like any of the designs then there should be a CH Default on contest option. They should have a health meter on CH accounts. However it is play at your own risk and there is no guarantee you will win. As long as a month down the line the design doesn't show up in use by the CH.

• Jason AikenAdminJason Aiken (Community Director, 99designs) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello all,

Just an FYI...we are currently working on a bunch of improvements to help proactively keep the contest holders engaged and participating. It often comes down to setting the right expectations and guiding them through the process...this should help ensure that a client has a good experience...and therefore won't want a refund.

Cheers,
        Jason

• Paula Ben AriPaula Ben Ari commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm with you. I'd work very hard for a competition, were the CH disappeared on the second day, you could see that he even not log-into the contest. And then, after a 7 day after he supposed to declare a winner, 99designs comes with a note that the CH requested a refund since he was not happy with the results. After some emailing with 99, they tolled me that the CH just cancel the credit payment, as he has the right to do it by law, so they cannot really do nothing on the matter.
        This issue bring the credit payment on a new light - the CH can redraw the found what ever he pleased and the law is beside him.

Feedback and Knowledge Base