I suggest you...

protect designers from CH who cancel and get refund and can steal our ideas.

I've already noticed a few CH's asking for a refund, even after posting comments about how much they love all the designs and are having trouble picking. They can easily just save all the images they like, take it to their designer and say create this. They got their money back, and possibly hundreds of design concepts as well. There are a lot of us doing all the work, and not even one of us gets the reward.

184 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

25 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AlbertAlbert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why all of u as designers waste ur time to something like this, u waste ur time to make the clients or someone steal ur idea getting RICH. Please try to waste ur time to ur own business/ ur own job ( it will make u RICHER than them).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No protection at all for designers. We designer join and put time into it, because we want to win and take the prize of this so call contest. But a contest that can be cancelled and no winner and no prize. 100% guarantee refund, what guarantee we have then? You guys totally bias for your CH, because they are the one who pay. Yes, you dint get paid if the refund, but you scare if you penalty them for a refund they won't come back and attract more customers. Is this the reason 99design founder start a business for? Stealing designer time and effort in order to gain trust and money from CH. Try to put yourself in our position. At least show us some respect and gratitude please.

• IshworIshwor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

99...please take some solid measures to resolve this issue. Ideas are getting stolen by some CHs.

• stevesteve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm a new member and 2 of 5 contests i've entered have been refunded. What a rip off!

• IvyIvy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am extremely unhappy with the fact that the CH can just back out as they wish after receiving tons of great designs. I was given 5 stars on my particular design and just one day before choosing for a finalist, the contest was locked and refunded to the CH.

Here's the link : http://99designs.com/web-design/contests/redesign-website-luxury-african-fashion-brand-266310

And it wasn't just me alone, I noticed there was so many other contestants who got 4-5 stars. The CH even eliminated those designs unfit for the concept and remained the one's he/she was planning to move on with.

Even though, the contest is locked and the CH cannot view any designs, it's still a waste of time and effort for us to put up with the CH's amendments and request to make it fit to his/hers requirements.

If the contest entry wasn't a big hit and there wasnt many or any good ones, I would understand. But there was plenty of designs and many of the designers gave in to come up with many versions of amendments etc. I hope that 99 designs community would look into this, and perhaps not let this happen if the contest is very active and there are mostly good feedbacks overall.

From what I suspect, the CH backed out because he/she wasn't aware that 99 Designs did not offer coding and he/she was only paying for designs. I cant believe such misunderstanding and mistake could happen. It should be cleared of, and the 99 designs community should get a proper reason why the CH is backing out before making the final decision.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

totally agree, i got 4 stars in final round logo contest and the contest was refund. It was 8 month ago, then i see now they use my logo for their shop. Their shop were in Italy, i didnt realise because iam far away from Italy, but my friend whose live in there reported to me.

Something must add to protect the design, its not about the money or be winner, but kind of worst feeling that know your designs are being stealed.

Also got 4 stars, was asked by contest holder to please enter another contest they where hosting and after being told they loved the design and investing even more days into the other contest, the contest was refunded! Needless to say I am really negative this morning about entering another competition, as this will probably keep happening in the future... The stealing of designs is one thing, but this is just bad for moral overall.

• ReyRey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

99designs should put a watermark to protect the designers from stealing their work.

When is the significant change taking place? Has it taken place? What is the change?

• bigveebigvee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like StockImage sites like, fotolia etc, 99Design should include some watermark on each uploaded designs.

Also there should be some rule like a Contest Holder can't Refund after getting 100+ entries.

Here goes a project which has been refunded after the Final Stage. It has got many 5 stars and 117 entries. This kind of things are really frustrating for designers.

http://99designs.com/banner-ad-design/contests/goldmoney-needs-banner-ad-142301

• johnTjohnT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

mercurywaters...We are about to make a significant change in this area that will help address your concerns. It should be noted that 99designs does not make any money when a project is refunded...it is definitely in our best interest to make sure the projects resolve well.

Cheers,
        Jason
        ----------------------
        When is this "significant change" going to happen? You stated this over a year ago and this still happens all the time...

• AnnaAnna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it is good what CH can take money back if no good designs in contest. But I think if CH has 10 and more designs submitted he can't refund. CH should be warn about it befor he/ she open contest.

• JkvJkv commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

12 of 18 contests I've recently been following have been Refunded. It often happens that Briefs are so poorly written/vague that it's just guesswork for the designer. Some ask for coding and then designers are left with having to educate the CHs. Some CH offer insultingly low prizes for a ridiculous amount of work. I think at least 50% of the Refunded contests could be avoided were 99D to monitor the Briefs. And there should be NO 100% Refund Guarantee - this would be fair were Briefs to be approved by 99D before posting to ensure easy-to-understand instructions along with detailed descriptions, etc. It's a well-known fact 99D protects the CH...can they do the same for the designers?

• chrmdmsrchrmdmsr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The refunded contests just keep coming.... here just a few more recent ones.

http://99designs.com/contests/36712
        http://99designs.com/contests/36059
        http://99designs.com/contests/36059
        http://99designs.com/contests/31754
        http://99designs.com/contests/31708
        http://99designs.com/contests/33651
        http://99designs.com/contests/34045

It is ridiculous. 99designs reputation has been built. Refunds should not even be offered in my opinion or at least at a rate of 50% or even less........ and the rest divided up among the designers who entered even if it's only $10. Totally ridiculous for as much work and time as the designers put in. You don't give refunds for services rendered and many designs are rendered, especially when they are able to steal and produce the designs somewhere else.

The "This contest is locked down" isn't working. We have no way to see the designs and check to see if they have been used anywhere on the web. This concept of refunds needs an absolute solution that works for all involved.

• Jason AikenAdminJason Aiken (Community Director, 99designs) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

mercurywaters...We are about to make a significant change in this area that will help address your concerns. It should be noted that 99designs does not make any money when a project is refunded...it is definitely in our best interest to make sure the projects resolve well.

Cheers,
        Jason

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base