I suggest you...

Lower the commission 99designs takes from designers

The case is, 99Designs takes a HUGE commission from designers. For example, designers may get only $300 out of $495 fee that CH pays (in most simple case out of $295 fee the designer will get only $200). That's a 40% commission. Contest Holders should be informed about this also, at least.

1,598 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    VitomVitom shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

80 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mark HaaseMark Haase commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a customer of 99 designs, I would appreciate more transparency on how much the designers will be paid, too. It's silly that I can't find this anywhere on your main site, and I had to come here to figure it out.

• bodixbodix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Ashish Desai, all I can say after more than 2 years of delaying my idea, declined with 1,598 votes, is that 99d don't care about transparency at all.

Please don't confuse us with words like community, suggestions, blahh, blahh... I'm a marketing guy and I know how this works. I've seen a CH paid $4,000 with a price of $2,500, you can't justify this. A 10/15% commission is more than enough.

As a Head of Product I suggest you not to ignore your clients anymore, this is mkt 101. Soon another site will gain your market, but then will be too late for your company.

Thanks.

• StarvinStarvin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The response of Ashish the Indian DOG is totally inappropriate as well because there are a a ton of alternatives. Let 99designs die a slow death. Designers step up and quit being ripped off by 99thieves.com

• Ashish DesaiAdminAshish Desai (Head of Product, 99designs) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi All,

We have left this thread open for a long time because we like the open dialogue and honest feedback. However, at this point, we feel that we have answered the original question and have clearly articulated the value that we provide to the creative process.

If you believe that our fees are not aligned with the value we provide, then we certainly encourage you to find an alternative that is more in line with your perceived value.

I am going to close this thread as I don't think it is productive any longer. We very much appreciate all of the feedback, and I hope that you'll continue to make great suggestions on how we can improve our platform.

Thanks,
        Ashish

• FarikFarik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is so mean! 99 should get their sh*t together. I paid for a very good design and the designer got only a half of my money. PURE EVIL!

• dejaliyahdejaliyah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just found this out myself so looks like if i I win a prize of $120 I'm only going to get $36 (it says new designers get 30% of the prize) and I've put in over 5 hours of work into this...I think mcdonald's employees make more and flipping a burger is alot easier than creating a work of art. Artists just can't seem to catch a break.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

NOPE, the percentage is NOT stated as part of the contest agreement! I'm a customer, and I had to go sniffing around to find out how much of my prize was paid as overhead (the answer: 30%!) I was NOT told this up front, nor was is possible to search "HELP" to find out. I had to create a designer account and look at the contest as an outsider! I paid $600 for a book cover series and the winning designer only got $420. That's $180 of overhead for the use of their site for less than 2 weeks. On top of that, I sent THREE emails over a period of 2 days to customer service asking how much it would cost me to award 2 winners AND I NEVER HEARD BACK. Apparently, those 100 employees are busy counting money. I won't be using this service again.

• DanielDaniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just paid $829 an the prize for designers is $450!!!! More than 45% commissions. I cannot believe it!

i totally aggree,.....i was looking at a contest offline and it dropped from 399 to 299....and i thought how the fuck did it go down 100 dollars....and i realized thats the 99designs commission....they dont contribute to the design, and also its a CONTEST were not guaranteed the money so even if we do win out of the numerous submissions we had to fight to reach the top,,..they get a huge chunk out of it in the end.....

• GinaJoy GadoresGinaJoy Gadores commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I guess lowering the commission isn't just for designer's gain, but as well as for respect. Designs are ideas, sold or not, they do them because they thought prices displayed are enough to refund the effort and thinking they do. Cutting down the expected gain into almost a half gives so much difference and such a total inequality. well, just imho.

I think that 40% of commission its too much. Suppose a designer receives a $150 of prize, -40% of the total, anything more would receive a total of $90, very low cost for the development of a design

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Valih Jamal well said.There are other company's too.They do not take that much.You can't take that much amount from us.We work really hard to win a competition and after win you took 40% of our amount.its that you call a business.Lower your commission and then see the result.I am sure your company will get more response.

• OllieOllie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dude they have 90 staff, try running a company with 90 staff in three countries and see if you think thats going ot be possible with 5% comms or something. If you run a company you know the cost to find a customer is about 50% of the order profit. Try setting up a Google adwords campaign if you don't believe me at £3-10 a click, with an 8-20% conversion rate for a lead. Then having to employ a sales guy to close those leads etc etc. It's a simple way for designers to see if they are commercially viable, build a port folio, and if they have the 'minerals' then they will see value in what they do and hopfully end up with their own design agency. I don't work for them, and have just set up out first competition. But have a lot of experience in trying to set up business with nothing. It's tough, and platforms like this, ebay, amazon let you test the water with zero start up capital or risk. I think it's fair.

• Valih JamalValih Jamal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Two years have passed and nothing is changing. People should really quit or boycott 99 for a brief time. The 40% commission is as bad as having a pimp. You a half, me a half, but you do all the job. I mean, come on. The excuse of servers and maintaining website for that high commission; you could really have a better one. Just lower it down and be grateful that those designers exist, respect them for god sake. Don't be greedy and evil, 99stuff.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

its shocking, on a gold design wihch costs the holder $790 the designer gets $450 and 99 gets $340, what work do they do for this?

• SumedhSumedh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

99designs: Every designer has a different payout based on their rating/level...would it not be possible for the website to calculate and display the actual prize that will be awarded to a designer. this information could be displayed right next to the total contest prize including your fee..

• IlijIlij commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Such a shame. I recently quit 99 cause it hit me. I'm spending sooo much time to compete with all these copy-cats and to win 1 in 20-30 is insanely demotivating. Last contest was the 300$ and the CH needed logo, whole packaging design, labels, price tags, posters... etc. And I just thought to myself that my work is worth more than 300$ (especially if it doesn't pay out) and on the other hand I don't like CH investing 500$ and getting a design done for only 300$, cause as I've seen here from admins, it's an alright commission as they have to pay adsense, office and other; which is BS cause you can do all that with extremely lower commissions than these and you can be a lot transparent with your customers. I mean, it's already bad that you're giving 100% money back guarantee for work other people do. Protect the designers, for God's sake! And so I left 99, found a great design studio which i joined, so those silly 600$ I made a month on 99 are even sillier cause I have less work now and 100% bigger earnings monthly. The horrible thing is that 99designs contest I won or the designs I've got to sell here weren't even in a portfolio I've showed to a design firm I work right now. They even laughed at my extra .pdf portfolio I've sent. So, the moral of the story is: 99designs should be extra less greedy and good designers should simply lay of design contests. Kind Regards, Ilij

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base