I suggest you...

Clear Gold Member criteria

Clear Gold Member criteria

I like the idea of having Gold Contest, but the criteria for considering Gold it's at least unclear: http://99designs.com/help/how-do-i-become-a-gold-designer
I saw many designer complaint about this, and also some 99d replies saying this is about "quality” or "hand work".

Take a look a this profile: http://99designs.com/users/948630 (this is not about this guy maybe he's an excellent, just pointed as a sample). Only got 20 days in the 99d community, no winnings, no portfolio, only 3 entered contest and he is already a Gold Member.

My proposal:
Take a few clear requirements, give X pts to each, If you have more than 3 points you become Gold. i.e:

- Work quality (subjetive but is what 99d want to evaluate) 1 pt
- Original hand work - 1 pt
- More than x entered contests (could be 10, 20) 1pt
- First win - 1 pt
- Won more than x contests (could be 10, 20) 1 pt

I know some may say it's not “about winning” but the actual requirements says “ it’s about the ability to create considered, high quality, original design that meets the design brief.”
So, if you won, how your work could not meet the brief, be original and HQ? Unless 99d consider that Contest Holders picks winners without meeting the brief, without being original or without high quality.

Please vote for this idea if you liked.
Thanks.

473 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    bodixbodix shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • mediacircusimagemediacircusimage commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

everyone needs to forward messages to tell everyone to vote on this ,gold designer program is WAY OUT OF ALINGEMENT ,many designers have been here for many years and are still not GOLD ,yet someone that has been here 6 months and has 1 or 2 wins is already GOLD...... THAT IS REDIC

• an3an3 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I still don't get how a designer becomes a golden one... Not clear enough ...

• 1nsomn1ak1nsomn1ak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My first thought is that the board at 99Designs should either hold a "contest" in which members devise a clear, unbiased plan to reach Gold Member Status- if one is not already in place! Perhaps the strategy used to attain Gold Member status is basic common sense and quite obvious, but we just can't seem to locate it because of a 404 page error... It could simply be the sort of intuitive thing that everyone already understands. Somehow, this reminds me of a recent Political Debate...

If not a member-based contest or disclosure of the actual criteria already in use, why not use the method "bodix" outlined and proposed in the previous post and proposed or modify it while retaining similar basic guidelines? Without clear guidelines, it's possible that extremely experienced GD's will use their time elsewhere due to lack of clear incentives. My intention is not to disparage the 99 Design approach which is a decidedly brilliant medium for talented GD's to express their creativity! BTW, the winner(s) of the Gold Member contest would receive honorary Gold Status.

• rey alejandrorey alejandro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

maybe he is a friend of some admin. i just send a message to one admin on how to become a gold member because there is really no objective qualification at all.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It didn't show him being a gold member when I looked. I do agree there should be some cut and dry method for deciding who should be a gold member.

• bodixbodix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Update:
        After my post, the user sample link I've mentioned above, it's not Gold anymore.
        I'm not sure if it was a 99d mistake (before or after).
        I want to clarify that this wasn't my intention at all. I think most of the designers are great, hardworking, and have excellent skills. 99d decides who is Gold and who don't, I just want this criteria to be clear and fair for all.

I will not cite any further reference profile, just in case.

From now on feel free to check for yourselves some profiles in Gold Contests, and you will see my point.

Thanks!

Feedback and Knowledge Base