I suggest you...

Feedback on contest holder

Same principle as on ebay, where you can leave feedback on a seller's reliability.
Would be nice to review how a contest holder has done in the past, considering feedback and payment etc.

1,589 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

53 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • an3an3 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think both designers and contest holders can benefit from this approach.
        Contest holders can improve their feedback and rating abilities, thus improving the flow of their contest, if the community feels that they are not very responsive and let them know so.
        Designers know before entering a contest, how the community feels about the contest holder running things.
        There is chance of abuse though, so i think only designers that participated on a contest holder's contest can leave feedback. It should be handled by a rating system asking specific questions about the contest holder's interaction with the contest and designers. Also should be moderated by 99designs staff, and if contest holder has negative feedback should be able to challenge it.

• goci08goci08 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

amazing how many designers have to forced to give the contest holder star design,and to give them further guidance during the development of designs that must be solved

• nsharknshark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know why 99designs thinks rating a brief is enough to provide feedback about a contest.

Rating a brief is not the same as rating the CH. The brief is just an explanation of what the CH is looking for. Rating a CH gives designers the opportunity to rate how the CH behaves, whether he/she gives feedback and is active in the contest, and whether he/she is reliable as a contest holder when it comes to releasing the prize.

• Robert SpeedRobert Speed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Personally I don't think rating design briefs is enough. I see CHs often might have a very good brief but then end up rating things seemingly opposite to what they described in the brief. CHs also often don't have a good design sense, so being able to leave feedback on them rating their design sense, would help make sure profesional designers dont waste their time on a project that will ultimately go to a beginner designer because the CH doesn't know whats good and what's bad.
        This is a problem you run into with normal clients aswell it's just easier to deal with it because your clients will usually listen to you after you've spent time trying to teach them why "this is good and this is bad".

• Jason AikenAdminJason Aiken (Community Director, 99designs) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks @Axonista

As a first step - All design briefs can currently be rated by designers. If a design brief is rated poorly it is flagged for 99designs review.

We will then reach out the CH and help them make the brief better. This should not only help engage the CH more but also ensure that the designers receive a clear direction.

As a second step we are working up some changes to the desiger folios - I will advocate for allowing CHs to leave designer testimonials.

Cheers,
        Jason

• AxonistaAxonista commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Jason - that's an OK compromise and something to start with.
        So let's go and implement it *today* and not sit on it for another two years while everyone chimes in with what a great idea it is.

Looking at some comments since my last post:
        @CK: Yes there will always be idiots that give you a 1 star rating even when you're being perfectly fair (just like happens with sellers on eBay or Amazon), but the system we're talking about will weed those out over time and the overall rating will be a true reflection. Enough 5 stars will outweigh the idiots. But likewise enough 1 star votes will say something also. I know I've worked with enough designers on here that would be happy to give me five stars even if they didn't win the contest because my goal is to always try to help designers to improve their entries so that even if they don't win my contest, their entry will have been tuned to a point where they will be able to enter it in the next contest with an improved chance of winning. The bottom line is I'm willing to take a few bad ratings because I know that overall I'm a good attentive CH and that will come out in my long term ratings. Not only that, but a rating system will ensure that I take the process of giving feedback more seriously because I know my rating depends on it. Only bad or dishonest contest holders would be against a rating system by designers.

@Anna: Yes a CH with a bad rating can start a new account, but it means that new CHs will have to put in extra effort to get credibility and that good CHs with a built up solid rating will do their best to keep that up. Plus the best designers will be attracted to the best CHs which is something that would make 99d an absolute killer service where everyone strives to be their best.

@mаленькая работа: it would be easy to dismiss you as a douchebag troll, but actually the phenomenon of crowdsourcing allows people in poorer countries to participate in economic activity that would otherwise be entirely unavailable to them. It is globalism at its absolute ideal best and something that 99d should be very proud of.

• Jason AikenAdminJason Aiken (Community Director, 99designs) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A few thoughts on this...

Currently you can see if the CH has a history of running successful projects or not - so you can use that info to inform whether or not you want to enter their project.

If they are a first time CH then you can see very plainly if they are engaged in the project, giving feedback etc..

I see more value in designers rating the design brief quality - so we can better intervene and correct bad briefs.

I also see more value in allowing CHs to leave testimonials for designers.

Just my 2 cents.

Jason

• AnnaAnna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think if contest holder will receive bad feedbacks he can open new account and will continue to do the same.

• AnnaAnna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am very tired from Contest Holders who not award contests:((((( They usually open $700 and more contests and having 50+ designs in these contests but after just got refund. No protection for us - designers. For example: if I have poor photoshop skills and I am bad designer but I can open contest and take good ideas from this contest and after receive my money back with a tons of good design ideas!!! If I have ready jpg file I can put it into photoshop and copy all elements and colors. This is not a problem. I think 99designs need to have some rules for contest holders who wish to refund. For example if 10+ designs where submitted, if CH has given 4-5 star raiting to some designers, if CH has not given feedbacks at all....
        Because we need protection too, we all working hard and some CHs just using our work and ideas and we receiving nothing from such contests.

• CKCK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a good suggestion, but I'm wary because some designers take things very personally and don't seem to understand that CHs can only choose one.
        I recently got abused by someone who had clearly not read the brief, submitted 16 versions of a truly cringeworthy design, and got upset when I said (politely) that it was not the look we were after.
        If he had the chance, he (and others like him) would fail any CH who didn't like their work.
        Agree there needs to be some form of moderation. Or maybe a certain % of designers need to concur for it to count.

• Evan SalihEvan Salih commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Guys
        Everything in 99design take very looooooooooong time ..
        who tried the payout with them .. he will know how much they taking time .. meanwhile the administrative fees took within 1 click !

still waiting JASON !

As a follow up, since this goes into the permanent record, I'd suggest a way for a CH to appeal a bad rating or to report rigging attempts. To avoid extra work for the 99d team, the appeal system could be initially moderated by a top level of designers and CHs with unresolved appeals going to 99d.
        I think in combination with a rating system allowing CHs to rate designers (not just their designs), it's something that would allow the top designers and holders to rise to the top while also providing a good environment for new designers to participate and grow.

So this suggestion is over 2 years old and is flagged as "Planned".
        Has it been on the planned list for those 2 years ?
        When's it planned to be made available ?
        Great suggestion and I'm all for it - not sure if voting still counts - any official word from 99d ?

• ZanZan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm a CH and held an amazingly informative and competitive contest, and I've already gotten great feedback from designers that they appreciate my management style.

So yes, I would LOVE to be rated and reviewed by how I treat designers because I want to attract only the hottest and hardest working designers for my contests!

Absolutely start a feedback and rating system for CH's!

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base