I suggest you...

Force CHs to at least mark a design as "seen"

In order to not treat designers unfairly or leave them in the dark a fair system must exist that forces CHs to at least look at the designs, give stars or comments. It has happened that designers have done work and entered late, but within the timeframe and a winner had been selected. This is unfair and a waste of time. A designer should know if the CH saw the design and there should be some kind of mark or acknowledgement for this. It is ok to not leave a comment if there are many designs, but one should know if it was at least considered.

5,127 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    visualmediavisualmedia shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

186 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support the proposal for rating CH, as commented: "Like ebay sellers, the contest holders could themselves get a star rating that would indicate to the designers that they are willing to participate in the rating and acknowledgement of the work of designers."

• OKGSOKGS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The massive support for this feature tells more about the ego of a typical designer than any practical need. It is understandable that most designers won’t believe their artworks will not be considered at all if viewed but in the cold, hard reality this is often the case.

Get real people, of course all designs are checked. Just think about what you do when you participate in a contest and you want to see the other designs, do you really click on every design to see it in detail or just by looking at the thumbnail you can decide if it is worth or not worth clicking?

With that said, I believe 99designs should do something just for the sake of satisfying the egos of the designers. After all this service is about delivering satisfying experience for designers as well. But it should not be implemented by changing the current contest holder experience in this regard.

What actually would be really useful and can make the experience more interesting is the number of views an image has received from the contest holder. This may reveal more about the contest holder’s interest than the star rating and will require no additional effort from the CH.
        Another byproduct of this feature could be statistics showing the number of views and unique (the same IP) views from other designers and guests, this will reveal more about the general interest a design is causing and may attract more designers participation just for the sake of it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Designers spend hours upon hours designing for contests, the least that the contest holder can do is to provide feedback. Even something like "this is not what we're looking for" or an elimination is better than simply being ignored. The worst feeling is spending 5 hours designing something, only to have your submission ignored completely and seeing that the CH has provided feedback and a star rating for a submission that came after yours.

• Jason AikenAdminJason Aiken (Community Director, 99designs) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey all,

We understand and acknowledge the popular support for this idea. We also see the merit of it at it's most basic level.

Just to be clear it is not as trivial a change you might think as to do it really well would require a completely different flow for viewing/ managing a contest.

We are always talking about how to improve this flow/process and definitely consider this idea each time that we do. It is very likely that we will reinvent the flow of a contest and how it is managed in the future to improve efficiency and experience for designers and clients alike. We may or may not include a forced progression as this idea suggests in the next evolution but whatever direction we end up going, we will certainly be basing the decision on all the available data points and user feedback so we can make the right choices and deliver the most value to our users.

This is how we always progress the platform and it is the reason that most of the changes we have made have yielded very positive results. For example, there are twice as many contests today as there were a year ago yet there are half as many refunds. This is a massive improvement and was largely driven by three key changes that we made by observing data, listening to feedback and making smart choices.

Cheers,
        Jason

• WebCre8tionsWebCre8tions commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue has great support from designers and has been sitting around with increasing complaints. What's the holdup? Why shouldn't the designer have some confirmation that the project that they've invested time in creating has at least been viewed since a lot of CH will not take the time to give ratings or feedback?

I'm lost on why 99designs has resisted allowing this feature for designers. It's not a complicated coding issue to implement so there must be some other reason.

• borboletaborboleta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We grew up with different ideas in the same content, we work to improve and opinions of others is always a plus for our evolution. It is always positive opinion of someone even being negative!

• JimrosselJimrossel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with everyone here, I think it would be unfair to our fellow designers not even knowing if their ideas has been appreciated or not. Letting them know what's good and what's bad about their designs would help them grow as an artist, and they deserve it.

• an3an3 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support the idea from Vectorizer that encourage the contest holder to rate or at least give some indication that the design was viewed, before getting any new designs.
        A solution could be that the new uploaded designs will be hidden from the contest holder, like a blind contest for designers, and CH could see them after they view/rate the other designs previously submitted.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base