I suggest you...

Three strikes rule for contest holders

I think CH who have abandoned and unhealhty contests should be given three chances afterwhich they will be banned from the site. I participated in a water contest recently and the guy seems to have done a runner (his other contest is alos the same)

391 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    chunlichunli shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • CitCit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What i think its that most of this contest should be prepaid so in case the CH abandons the contest the designer or designers should get the prize split!!!! its not fair to work for nothing when CH is no were around

• J.A.J.A. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Doesnt matter, they'll register using different email account. The whole ban and suspension system affects designers not CHs

• it's just meit's just me commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Three is too much, two chances is adequate enough then after that those 'fishing' CHs should 'fish' someplace else.

• ExtraRedExtraRed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I definitely think, too there needs to be accountability for CH that either run "unhealthy" contests including not giving feedback to designers or not making clear their ideas. I am a first time CH (not new to online) and read all the guidelines involved and know from other experiences how important feedback is to a designer.

• anushka1artaanushka1arta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wanted to complain about the same things but I see that these comments are 2-3 years old, so nothing has changed in all this time? That's sad...

• AnnaAnna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will post it again
        ------------------------
        I am very tired from Contest Holders who not award contests:((((( They usually open $700 and more contests and having 50+ designs in these contests but after just got refund. No protection for us - designers. For example: if I have poor photoshop skills and I am bad designer but I can open contest and take good ideas from this contest and after receive my money back with a tons of good design ideas!!! If I have ready jpg file I can put it into photoshop and copy all elements and colors. This is not a problem. I think 99designs need to have some rules for contest holders when they can't refund. For example if 10+ designs where submitted, if CH has given 4-5 star raiting to some designers, if CH has not given feedbacks at all....
        Because we need protection too, we all working hard and some CHs just using our work and ideas and we receiving nothing from such contests.

• nkhnkh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it's best if 99team carefully select the CH more wisely, maybe adding some requirements for CH, such as... if the CH doesn't held a guaranteed contest, all design will be blind and hidden for the CH until the CH guaranteed the contest?

usually the CH will guaranteed the contest if there are 20+ design entered

• wendy wendy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a good idea to let CHs know the work designers are doing is WORK, it takes a while and basiclly, 99% of us are working for free. CHs just have to post, sit back, wait and choose. I don't see a lot of time being wasted on their part, designers should get the same consideration.

• ECKspo.comECKspo.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

.....I don't agree with the 'banned' idea, but we need a much better way to get the contest holders not to 'abandon' us. My time is precious and by acting this way...they are not respecting the designers as professionals. It just comes down to that simple fact! Many contests start as "Healthy", but then with in a day (and often to the end of the contest) it becomes "Unhealthy".

• ECKspo.comECKspo.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am not sure, but this might be a good idea.

There are a LOT of "unhealthy" contests were the holders don't use the 'stars' and/or give 'feedback'. My gut is that these holders are fishing for ideas and really don't intend to pick a winner?!? It is VERY frustrating.

• lancerfourlancerfour commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Probable... but I think this should only work if it incorporated a voting feature by all those who submitted designs to the contest. Say, if 70% said the CH was unfair then it would count as a strike. Otherwise this could get just downright mean, especially with the amount of immaturity already seen on 99d.

• Q DesignQ Design commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hmm, but say only one person submits for your contest, you should at least be given one chance to start again? And maybe BANNING is a little tough don't you think? Perhaps an autopost in the general disgussion saying a little about the contest holder... Or perhaps in the brief it has a section about the contest holder...

• lachlanAdminlachlan (Admin, 99designs) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Banning IP's isn't feasible. But we do detect duplicate accounts, so bans are effective. With the contest health system, these users Contests will be immediately unhealthy.

• digitalinkdigitalink commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1 your gone. 2 if you wanna be nice. But ban the IP! ANyone can make a new name and this helps NO ONE!

• tini1tini1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it should be 1 or 2.....contest SHOULD NOOT ever be abandoned.

Feedback and Knowledge Base